The Best Classic Chicken Salad is an easy recipe that uses common ingredients. Rotisserie chicken, celery, and onion gets coated in a simple, tangy, mayo-based dressing.
Recipe For Chicken Salad
This is a great lunch option to serve at a brunch, barbecue, or any potluck. Everyone loves a creamy cold chicken salad.
Traditional chicken salad consists of three main components: chicken, dressing, and something crunchy.
Chicken – Any cooked chicken will work. But, I love using rotisserie chicken. It’s already cooked and seasoned, so all I have to do is pull it apart into bite-size pieces.
Dressing – I use a mayonnaise based dressing with a few other common ingredients.
Crunch – Keep it simple with celery and onions.
How To Make Chicken Salad
* Note: The full printable recipe card is at the bottom of this post.
- Add mayo to a large mixing bowl.
- Add vinegar, mustard, sugar, salt, and pepper.
- Whisk until the dressing is smooth and well combined.
- Add cooked pulled or chopped chicken.
- Add sliced celery and chopped red onions.
- Stir until well mixed.
- Cover the bowl and refrigerate for at least one hour.
How To Serve
I could eat this stuff with a spoon. And, I have! But, for guests, try some of these options.
- Sliced sandwich bread
- Sliced toasted baguette
- Butter lettuce leaves
- Tossed salad
I like the traditional recipe. But, this is where you can get super creative.
- Chopped pickles
- Chopped eggs
- Dried cranberries/raisins
- Chopped apples
- Halved grapes
- Sliced water chestnuts
- Sliced olives
- Chopped nuts (pecans, almonds, cashews, etc.)
- Sliced green onions
- Chopped avocado
Chopped apples and avocado will turn brown quickly, so only use these if you plan on serving immediately.
How To Store
This will keep in a sealed container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. Stir well before serving.
Can This Be Frozen
Nope! Chicken salad does not freeze well. Don’t do it.
Try These Other Easy Lunch Recipes
- Pickle Pasta Salad
- Tuna Salad from Culinary Hill
Watch The Recipe Video For The Best Classic Chicken Salad Below
The Best Classic Chicken Salad Recipe
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons yellow mustard
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 cups cooked chicken - pulled or chopped. I use pulled rotisserie chicken*
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced celery
- 1/4 cup finely diced red onion
- For serving: crackers, bread, tortillas, lettuce leaves, etc.
- In a large bowl, add the mayonnaise, vinegar, mustard, sugar, salt, and pepper. Whisk until well combined. Add the chicken, celery, and onion. Stir until the chicken is evenly coated in dressing.
- Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve, up to four days.**
I just love a good chicken salad, and this is one! Thanks for sharing!
This chicken salad is delicious! The touch of red vinegar is everything. Made this chicken salad to take for sandwiches to Disney to save money, and the whole family loved them.